sesame seeds sweet
Winter is the season to eat 'hurda',enjoy the tasty 'bhogichi bhajee, bajrichi bhakree with sesame seeds on top of it, celebrate sankranti with guLachi poLi and tiLacha ladoo.
All the festivals in India are celebrated with special recipes which are designed with specific reason behind it. The ingredients used for the preparation are easily available as they are harvested in that season & and hence well accepted by our body.These recipes are special and prepared once a year for that occasion particularly. for e.g rishichi bhajee for rishipanchami, patoLya for haritalika, Undhiyu in winter...
So tiL/sesame seeds are in for this winter season and you have to make the most of it!!!
tiLache ladoo is the simplest among all ladoo recipes. Only precaution is to roast the sesame seeds properly. If under roasted, ladoos won't taste 'khamang'
This year's makarsankranti is on 15th instead of 14th. It's really a wonder that in spite of being a hindu festival, makarsankranti is celebrated on14th January,every year as per the English calender. The reason is better explained here.
1/2 kg tiL/sesame seeds ( I use the unpolished ones)
1/2 kg chikkicha gul(jaggery)
1/2 cup roasted and crushed peanuts
1/2 cup DaL(roasted chana)
1/2 cup pieces of dry coconut
25 gm ginger (peeled and grated)
- Roast the sesame seeds in a kadhai on medium flame. When roasted properly seeds change color as well as the taste. You can check the taste before and after roasting to make out the difference. The one before roasting is flat, and after it swells out and starts popping. Lower the flame and continue roasting till they are properly roasted.
- Roast peanuts separately. Remove the skin and make it in halves and remove the small dot .('nak' that is what my aaji used to say)Crush them all grind coarsely in a grinder.
- No need to roast DaLa as they are pre-roasted.
- Mix roasted sesame seeds with DaLa,crushed peanuts and pieces of dry coconut.
- Scrape the ginger and grate it.
- Heat the kadhai and add a tsp of ghee and spread it all over with a spoon .
- Keep the flame medium.
- Add sticky jaggery or chikkicha guL (which is available only in this season)
- Stir continuously till all the guL melts.
- Bring it to boil. Lower the flame. Add grated ginger.Stir well.
- (put a drop of the melted jaggery in cup with 2-3 spoons of water. If it doesn't get spread or mixed in,then it is done. If not continue boiling with stirring continuously for some more time before testing again.)
- Add the roasted mixture. Mix well with the melted jaggery. Let it stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Take a quarter portion in a plate. Apply ghee on your palms. Take a small part out of it and roll it between the palms to make a ball. Repeat the procedure to make as many balls of desired size.
- Spread all the balls/ladoos in a plate and let them cool.
- Share with friends and relatives with saying 'tiLguL ghya aani goad goad bola'